Every once in a while, a sudden thought hits me. *snaps* just like that!
I used to think that I'll write it down somewhere.. or jot it down.. or heck, remember it. But it never fails to .. fail me. lols. okay lame joke .. but still.
So since a majority of my time will be spent in front of books and laptops (that's when my brain wanders into forks like these anyway..) I've decided this year that I will blog it automatically, if permissible.
*Sigh there goes all those years of precious random thoughts...*
#1 People
Since leaving home and since being tagged an adult, there have been SO MANY types of other adults I've met since hitting 21. (yeah my kinda joke) Mendelian in magnitude, I realized too, that unconsciously I've started to look at them by the simplest of ways-
- Those who expect you to respect them. They are not your peers, they are not your age, they might be fit into someone like your mentor/ teacher/ but they will never be your friend. So when you email them you don't go 'Hey There'. Think of 'Dear Mr X' and goodbyes like 'Yours sincerely' instead. And you must never crack jokes about their peers to them. Because those peers are on the same level as person discussed and therefore, will never be your friend either. Ever. Short of raising your arms in a salute, you should never look at them in the eye. (I'm not there yet...)
- On the other end of the spectrum, there lies the ones who are overtly friendly. Chatty. Hippy. You get the idea. It's not exactly the ideal personality either, because I suppose it takes time to adjust to their relative ages. However I won't deny that it's a huge plus when you feel like connecting. It feels odd at first, because being Asian you've always been raised to pay the elders their due respect. It's like a silent obligation. I still have problems calling my older cousins without the jie's and the kor's even now when they're like 35 and I'm 21, so calling a tutor for example, by their first names without their titles makes me feel like I'm going to be struck by lightning anytime soon.
- Then there are the ones who are in the middle. Serious at times, humourous otherwise and still connectable. They're the easiest and perhaps the majority of those I've met.
- The last group would be those who are so quiet I don't actually know where they stand.
Admittedly, I have a problem with people in group 1. Because I can never tell if they're 1 or 4 and unfortunately make alot of irrevocable mistakes before I actually realize sh1t, I need to kowtow and say my sorries NOW!
kthxbai.
I used to think that I'll write it down somewhere.. or jot it down.. or heck, remember it. But it never fails to .. fail me. lols. okay lame joke .. but still.
So since a majority of my time will be spent in front of books and laptops (that's when my brain wanders into forks like these anyway..) I've decided this year that I will blog it automatically, if permissible.
*Sigh there goes all those years of precious random thoughts...*
#1 People
Since leaving home and since being tagged an adult, there have been SO MANY types of other adults I've met since hitting 21. (yeah my kinda joke) Mendelian in magnitude, I realized too, that unconsciously I've started to look at them by the simplest of ways-
- Those who expect you to respect them. They are not your peers, they are not your age, they might be fit into someone like your mentor/ teacher/ but they will never be your friend. So when you email them you don't go 'Hey There'. Think of 'Dear Mr X' and goodbyes like 'Yours sincerely' instead. And you must never crack jokes about their peers to them. Because those peers are on the same level as person discussed and therefore, will never be your friend either. Ever. Short of raising your arms in a salute, you should never look at them in the eye. (I'm not there yet...)
- On the other end of the spectrum, there lies the ones who are overtly friendly. Chatty. Hippy. You get the idea. It's not exactly the ideal personality either, because I suppose it takes time to adjust to their relative ages. However I won't deny that it's a huge plus when you feel like connecting. It feels odd at first, because being Asian you've always been raised to pay the elders their due respect. It's like a silent obligation. I still have problems calling my older cousins without the jie's and the kor's even now when they're like 35 and I'm 21, so calling a tutor for example, by their first names without their titles makes me feel like I'm going to be struck by lightning anytime soon.
- Then there are the ones who are in the middle. Serious at times, humourous otherwise and still connectable. They're the easiest and perhaps the majority of those I've met.
- The last group would be those who are so quiet I don't actually know where they stand.
Admittedly, I have a problem with people in group 1. Because I can never tell if they're 1 or 4 and unfortunately make alot of irrevocable mistakes before I actually realize sh1t, I need to kowtow and say my sorries NOW!
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr
kthxbai.

