As I typed up my psychiatry case write up, it hit me how much this uncle must have been suffering. When I interviewed him with K, he was circumstantial to the point of no return, and .. I am guilty to say that all I wanted was for him to tone down and stop talking. Let me do all the talking and you do all the answering. THAT’s how it goes, mister.so for once, shut up and let me ask!!!
It didn’t hit me that there was a reason why psy was called in for a suicide risk. It didn’t hit yet, how significant the words TRO Depression meant.

As I arranged his haphazard history into a more presentable paragraph the story started becoming clearer… and clearer…. And clearer.
Ever since his wife died, Mr L has gotten more and more withdrawn, although he says that his wife was always the more sociable half. He has started losing interest in things around him, and feels tired most of the time. He finds that his motivation to do things has decreased, and life has become such a lonesome and boring place. Sometimes, he tears up spontaneously without any triggers and he also finds his sleep disturbed; finding it hard to sleep at night, his sleep cycle disturbed throughout and then waking up very early in the morning, a good few hours earlier than when he usually would.

His mobility is impaired due to the ulcer his leg, and his deformed Charchots; most of the time he only stays in his house. He lives with his daughter but since she works long hours, he only sees her for breakfast and is usually asleep when she returns. In between, he is usually left alone at home. He has had multiple history of falls and perhaps that’s one of the reason why he has given up the hope of venturing outside into the open. He is a T2DM on Insulin and it’s difficult to inject it himself, that’s why if his daughter does not come back in time, he actually does not have his night jab.

When asked, the only thing Mr L looks forward to is waking up in the wee hours of the morning and preparing breakfast for his daughter before she leaves for work. That appears to be his only human contact for the rest of the day. The spirits of the dead ones keep him company tho, and he welcomes them immensely.

                Mr L chatted amicably and happily with us, telling us (albeit too much) of his life stories, of the things his parents would do for him before this, indirectly telling us how much he missed his wife. 


Here I was looking at a disabled man showing me feeble attempts at brightening up his life


And all I wanted was for him to stop talking.





“I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man who had no feet."

~Indian Proverb

1 Response
  1. Anonymous Says:

    SO touching~